Here is the updated INF driver file for Nikon Super Coolscan film scanners for Windows 7/8/10 64-bit:
Based on instructions and files located here for Windows 7 x32/x64 and above, I have updated the instructions:
- Note: If you have an LS-4000 you will need to ensure it has the latest firmware V1.10 in order to run Nikon Scan 4.0.3. You will need Nikon Scan 3.1.2 and a Windows XP machine to do this. You may be able to run “XP Mode” (a virtual XP machine) inside Windows 7.
Now, let’s get your scanner working in Windows 7, 8, or 10:
- Remove Vuescan if installed. You can re-install it after these procedures.
- Download the Nikon Scan 4.0.3 scan software for Windows Vista 32-bit.
- Install Nikon Scan 4.0.3.
- Download the modified scanner driver here – NikonFiles_v1-4.zip
- Extract and save the NikonFiles folder to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nikon\NkScan4\
The NKScan4 folder now contains the NikonFiles folder and will look like this…
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nikon\NkScan4\NikonFiles\
- Windows 7: skip to step 8.
- If you’re running Windows 8/10, you’ll need to temporarily disable the driver signature enforcement policy (option 1) prior to next steps or the scanners_v1-4.inf driver will not install.
- Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click the Restart button.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click the Restart button.
- When your computer restarts you’ll see a list of options. Press F7 on your keyboard to select Disable driver signature enforcement.
- Your computer will now restart and you’ll be able to install unsigned drivers.
- Power up the scanner and connect the Firewire or USB cable to the computer.
- Cancel any dialogue boxes looking for drivers if they appear.
- Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and look for the “Unknown Device” (your scanner) with the yellow triangle.
- Right click on it and choose “Update Driver Software” then choose “Browse my computer for driver software”
- Click “Browse” and find the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Nikon\NkScan4\NikonFiles and click “Next”.
- That’s it – Your Nikon Scan software should now be fully functional.